Tuesday, February 7, 2012

How old do you have to be to work at McDonalds?

I would really like a job and it seems Mcdonalds would be a good place to work at. I 14 and don't know how old you must be. What other jobs can I get at 14?How old do you have to be to work at McDonalds?
Because of the child labor laws, most places do not like hiring anyone under a certain age. In my state, you have to be at least 16 to work in certain areas, and certain hours. Anything that uses anything hot - such as the grills, the bun toasters, the french fry deep fryers - cannot be worked by someone under 16. So they cannot rotate you into any of those positions during the busier times of day; you are basically limited to working the cashier and drive-through positions.



It used to be that you could not work after 9 pm if you were under 16. They prefer that the employees be able to work all positions, any hours for optimal staffing. You should check, though - sometimes they make exceptions, as long as they do not have too many already working there. You can only have so many limited workers on staff at any one time; otherwise, they will have no one to run the grills.



Unfortunately, the child labor laws apply to every employer, so you may have to look around a while before you find something. When I was 14, babysitting was my only source of income.





People are quick with their thumbs down - I have personally known two 15 year olds that were employed by McDonald's, and I was told by them what restrictions were in place based upon the state's child labor laws at the time. I believe they only got the job because they were reasonably close to turning 16, at which point a lot of the restrictions were lifted.How old do you have to be to work at McDonalds?
18

No comments:

Post a Comment