Thursday, February 23, 2012

Would you recommend a job at Mcdonalds, or a fast food place, as a first job?

The register at least.



My town has several fast food places, and the mall near us has even more. My parents want me to work with my older cousin at a clothing store, but I'm not fond of the idea of working near her.Would you recommend a job at Mcdonalds, or a fast food place, as a first job?
I currently work at McDonald's, and I think that for the job it is, it's pretty good - don't get me wrong, it's not a job for life or the most glamorous job in the world... but any job is better than none.



They are usually very flexible, so I personally have no problem changing when I am able to work, and they are able to fit around your education if your at school, college or uni.



There are basically 3 jobs you can do, Kitchen, Front (register) and Dining (customer area)



I find kitchen the best, although it can be hot and very demanding, your not having to face all the customers. It consists of cooking the food and making it. You get 'grill slips' when customers customize things which is a pain in the a** since you will get a slip for 'Plain QTR-CHS" (Plain Quarter with Cheese), make it to have it returned since customers didn't want the cheese.

Then you have customers who haven't got a clue what they are ordering. "That's the wrong sauce.", "No, it's not.", "Yes it is" - Very well, have you ever constructed a McBurger? No... well stop saying I am wrong, and either return it or eat it.



Front counter is serving the customers... the lovey customer.

"I want a Big Mac." Take their money, give them a big mac, "Wheres my fries you utter idiot".... cool... so because you never asked for them, I am the idiot. It's fine, I'll just smile, apologize and undo the whole order to give you some fries.

Those are the annoying customers... but you get ones which are completely out of order. Sometimes you will get a group of people who are really loud... sometimes the manager will say, "Do not serve these people." so your left standing there saying "You are not being served, please leave" being called all the names under the sun, being told your throat is going to be ripped out and they are going to smash our faces in if they don't get served... "I can't serve you, please leave."

I've worked at McDonald's for 3 years, and there have been 2 very bad incidents that happened while I have been working. The first one was a manager being dragged though the drive thru window... nobody even noticed till he came to the door asking to get back in... luckily he wasn't hurt...

The second was another manager who was dragged across the front counter and kicked on the floor... they again weren't too badly hurt... but it's not good.



Dining Area is a job I hate...

Let me set the scene... It's busy... there's 2 people clearing up... and you cannot find your mop bucket...

Customers are complaining that their fries are too salty... you just want to say, "And what can I do about that, your not asking the person who cooks the fries."

You then have customers who don't put their stuff in the bin... so your having to run around clearing tables so it doesn't look messy and so customers can get a table with good Feng Shui to go with there Mac and Fries... you then have a customer nipping your head because there's only 5 chicken nuggets in the box for 6... well... there is only one reasonable explanation... it could only have been abducted by aliens, I'm sure someone couldn't have miscounted them... hopefully I'll find your chicken nugget with my mop bucket.



I'm aware I've focused on the bad bit's of the job... but they are the minority of times really, and there are lots of positives... Along with the flexibility, you can make loads of friends, there is a strong team effort and you get loads of great customers... like the guy who will tell you a different joke every day... or the customers who you get that extra bit of satisfaction when you help them... the old customers who love the coffee but need to go to the toilet but have lots of bags... so you take care of them.



I'd recommend it definitively as a place to start, or if your still in education and need somewhere which can accommodate that.
Most people would not recommend this job for you, but I will. There are many good reasons in which this is a very good job for anyone who needs a job. The first is that this job will teach any young person many of the necessary skills that you will need to make it in the real world. This is for the most part a fast paced environment and many people need just that type of fast paced environment to get the most out of any job in which they want to excel in.



Let me add that there is nothing to be ashamed about with working for McDonalds. I did it and it was the best experience that I could have had at the time. I really enjoyed the camaraderie at the place of employment and made a few nice friends. If you do not want to work near your cousin, I say do not do it. Life is to short to have to work and be miserable.Would you recommend a job at Mcdonalds, or a fast food place, as a first job?
Personally, and please don't take this the wrong way, but I would be kind of embarressed to work there. Also, if you have a weak stomach like me, you might get disgusted when you see what the stuff looks like before you cook it haha. I personally think a job at a grocery store would be more rewarding (:
It depends if you want a fun job, or a job.

McDonalds hires pretty much anyone that is legal to work.Would you recommend a job at Mcdonalds, or a fast food place, as a first job?
sure. working the register is a good way to get experience dealing with people [nice and friendly or mean and rude]
no

No comments:

Post a Comment