Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Should I work at McDonalds? Are there any other jobs that can hire a 16 year old with little to no experience?

Ok so basically I was wondering if I should get a job at McDonalds. Oh yes, the restaurant notorious for its terrible pay and work environment that's riddled with grease. Seeing as the summer is right around the corner, I really want a job so I can save up for my university fees / personal expenditures. Aside from the job, I'm volunteering at a hospital, but the main point is...is McDonald's a good place to start out? I don't know, there's this feeling - although remote - that there are other opportunities for me. (I almost got hired at Future Shop since my cousin was my referral...darn!) I applied at Safeway/Tim Hortons/Bento Sushi Express...opinions people? Thanks!Should I work at McDonalds? Are there any other jobs that can hire a 16 year old with little to no experience?
Job Market is tough out there, even for a 16 year old, not that there is anything wrong with Mickey D's ... I'd dress up like a young professional and take a walk through your local Mall 1st. Don't go with a group of friends, this is a big NO NO. Politely ask for an application, be prepared to be interviewed on the spot if your serious. Ask to speak to the store manager after receiving the application. Your not to young to have a resume, if you don't have one, GOOGLE it and to get you started. Happy Job Hunting!!!Should I work at McDonalds? Are there any other jobs that can hire a 16 year old with little to no experience?
Yes there aren't many other opportunities out there right now. I quit my old part time job and now can't even find a job in fast foodShould I work at McDonalds? Are there any other jobs that can hire a 16 year old with little to no experience?
Is the hospital gig connecting you with connections to write you a recommendation for college? If not, leave that place- they're using you of they're not giving you a credential or recommendation in return for your services. Do you live in an urban area? I would go and work as an office assistant in the local Economic Development office or work as a PA on a feature film or tv show - they take interns and will pay you cash and cover your transpo and lunches - do you live in NYC or LA or Chicago- some major urban area- even Atlanta as CNN and Cartoon Network- the local film offices list the production assistant and intern postings- or go work as an assistant on some local person's political campaign or assist a lawyer doing basic office duties- be a shadow- learn on the job. Intern-intern-intern- If they don't have a lot to pay- take the minimum and ask them to cover your lunches and transportation costs... Start building the experiential skills that will get you into higher education. Go to college!!!!! Don't waste your time at Macdonalds. You deserve better.

No comments:

Post a Comment